Friday, June 17, 2011

Joshua Seater Urinates In Portland Reservoir, Costs City $33K To Drain




PORTLAND, Ore. – The man who urinated in a Mount Tabor reservoir said he’s sorry he did it but wonders what all the fuss is about.

"It was dark; it was night; I was under the influence of alcohol," Josh Seater told KATU News Thursday, the day after he was caught on a surveillance camera going No. 1 in Reservoir No. 1 in the wee hours of Wednesday morning.

The video shows the shenanigans leading up to it. He and his friends threw things into the water. Then he said it just happened.

"Within a split second of me taking a urine in there, right afterwards, I felt guilty," he said. "I knew I did wrong when I did it."

He barely had time to zip up his pants before security guards got there. Seater hasn't been charged with a crime but it could happen. But he just doesn't get why.

"They've been pulling out dead animals, other feces, am I the first one to pee in the in the fountain?"

No, but he was caught, and it's going to be an expensive flush for the city of Portland. It'll cost about $36,000 - $7,500 to drain the reservoir plus it's $28,000 worth of drinking water down the drain. Not to mention the "ick" factor.

"That is disgusting. I didn't know it was a water supply, otherwise I wouldn’t have done it. I thought it was a sewage plant," Seater said.

He says he's sorry. He was drunk and it was stupid, but he says he thinks the city should also take some responsibility.

"If they are going to be so uptight about me making an accident like I did, why aren't they going to do anything to prevent that?" he said.

The Portland Water Bureau does have a plan to cover the reservoirs to comply with federal regulations, although it is trying to get a waiver so they don't have to spend the millions it will take to do that.

Seater said if he's fined for what happened, he won’t be able to pay. But he said he's up for some community service.


No comments:

Post a Comment